Microsoft to Nordstrom, Adobe to Smartwool, Robert Dietz brings more than 20 years of innovation and creativity to his role as Vice President of User Experience for Sears Holdings. Most recently, Robert spent 10 years at the helm of a Seattle based design + build agency before moving to Microsoft where he led UX teams for brands such as Encarta, Office Live, Office Labs and Bing. He hit the ground running in Chicago last October and hasn’t slowed down since. Lucky for us, he took a few minutes out of his busy schedule to answer 20 of our favorite questions.
The Proust Questionnaire
1. What’s your favorite virtue?
Tough one. Between my favorites of honesty, perseverance and courage I’d have to go with courage.
2. What do you consider to be the most overrated virtue?
3. Which word or phrase do you most overuse?
Awesome question. Awesome.
4. What’s your greatest fear?
That I’ll settle for status quo.
5. Which living person do you most admire?
Tom Kundig. Brilliant architect with a point of view and amazing taste.
6. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
7. What trait do you most deplore in yourself?
My lack of patience.
8. What is your greatest extravagance?
A Herman Miller Eames lounge chair.
9. What trait do you look for in a friend?
10. What’s your idea of happiness?
Experiencing new places and things with people I care about.
11. What’s your idea of misery?
Being in a room with those who take themselves too seriously.
12. What’s your most marked characteristic?
My bald head.
13. What’s your worst characteristic?
My lack of patience.
14. What talent do you wish you possessed?
To create music.
15. How would you like to die?
16. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
17. What’s your most treasured possession?
I don’t treasure possessions.
18. What do you most dislike?
A lack of vision.
19. Who is your personal hero?
Currently, Elon Musk. A real life Iron Man.
20. What’s your personal motto?
Try Hard + Laugh along the way.
Now, dear reader, what’s your personal motto? Leave a comment and let us know.